Friday 31 May 2013

Personal Project; Decay - Inspired by Valerie Hegarty / Wire Frames

An example of Valerie Hegarty's work

The work of Valerie Hegarty who uses various medias and creates paintings that make full use of their canvas appealed to me as the pieces of work showed several different happenings all at the same time, which I thought would be an interesting concept to use as I personally found that by creating a piece which embraced more of a three dimensional quality would create an attention-grabbing result on the viewer. The way in which this artist created large scale pieces which were burnt and twisted made the concept of decay remarkable and enthralling, with twisted frames holding an image that was almost completely destroyed. I found the messy but structured quality of the work interesting and full of life, even though these pieces are based on matter decaying.

Above is the piece that I did, which is inspired by Valerie Hegarty's. Here's a quick explanation of what I did:


1.) I took some twisty tie that I bought from a local hardware store and made it into a small rectangle

2.) I then took a finer wire and twisted it around the rectangular frame randomly, so that the wire went from one side of the frame to the other

3.) I then sewed a piece of white cotton fabric around the frame, so that the entire frame was covered and then I began to paint  from a picture I had taken in the boiler room
I made a simple sketch book explaining the wire frames I had made in detail


Close ups of the piece are shown above. After taking these pictures I then went on and coated the piece in PVA glue to give it a shinier effect similar to that of the artist I set out to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment